Job hunters who rely on head hunters or executive search firms for leads may be limiting themselves. Today, many corporations are creating in-house search departments and relying less on retained search firms, and candidates may be missing out on top positions at companies that tap talent from internal databases. Bon Secours Health System, for example, conducts 80 percent of their searches in-house. Seth Lee, Vice President of Talent Acquisition at Bon Secours Health System, tells us why job hunters should pay attention more attention to internal recruiters than external ones:
- In-house recruitment teams are typically staffed with former executive search firm consultants, and have emulated many of the services that retained firms offer.
- Online talent communities are now routinely built by employers, allowing the candidate to keep in touch with the employers even when an opportunity does not exist right now. This is a very powerful candidate resource in a job search.
- Formerly, only retained search firms built candidate databases and kept notes about the movement of a candidate; now in house recruiters can do the same, especially if they are focused specific types of roles that they can build an expertise around, such as clinical leaders (RN, MD, etc.)
- In house recruiters can give candidates a larger perspective on the entire organization, not just the role being recruited; if another opening exists or if the skills can be used at a later date, the company can re-connect with the candidate and not pay a search firm for access to the candidate.
- Candidates have an advantage going through internal recruiters because other executives working for the company can refer them.
Working with internal recruiters is identical to working with search firms and requires no extra effort. Candidates can go directly to the company’s website to learn how recruiting works and what types of positions are available. Candidates who seek to submit their information to internal databases for the future should email their credentials to head of research/head of recruitment in department. Candidates who seek a current specific position with the company should submit their credentials through online forms. Remember that the more paths you try, the more likely you are to hit upon something.